Monday, May 17, 2010

NEED HELP! How do I negotiate this salary?

I have had a couple interviews for a help desk IT job and was told that they want to hire me for around $14 USD per hour. I got a call today and they told me that they are going to contract me for a few weeks and then hire me permanently if I work out.





He told me that since they are going to contract me that they would pay me more per hour since I won't be getting benefits and I will have to pay my own taxes (roughly 30-35% where I live). It sounds like he wants to pay me enough so that when I do pay my own taxes I'll be making around $14 after taxes. I figure that would put me up to $20 an hour and if I were to get my own medical/dental coverage that would be an additional $2-4 per hour, so that puts me to almost $25 per hour....





Is that too much to expect for a Help Desk Technician position?

NEED HELP! How do I negotiate this salary?
Well, for one thing it is illegal for them to contract with you under the terms of a 1099 while you are working in their office space. If you are working away from the place of employment that would be fine. You need to ask the labor board if this is true in your state. The amount you'll pay in taxes on a 1099 will be higher than if paid on their payroll. I would not do this. If they decide to let you go you'll have no benefits of unemployment if you need them. You'll be considered self-employed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net